Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hawks and Squirrels

  This morning when I headed to the studio I noted a fresh killed fox squirrel at the corner.  I wondered if the neighborhood Redtails would scarf it up.  At 11 a buteo as big as a chicken was standing on it. (scroll down and click "older posts" for a photo of our neighborhood hawks.)
  Our neighbors love teacup chihuahuas.  They let their favorite out once to make a backyard run and when they checked on it 20 minutes later a hawk was tearing strips off the dead dog and eating them.  NOT the image one would hope to have of a favored pet.  The guy bought a pellet rifle and lurked in the bushes for a couple of weeks after that, but I don't think he got a shot

1 comment:

d smith kaich jones said...

Ditto The Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle. Well, somewhat. If you can plod your way through the politically correct message of Americans being insensitive to illegal aliens (us bastards!), you can actually enjoy the WASPS flipping out when coyotes start eating their pets, etc. I can't remember if any of them actually have any firearms with which to protect said pets - it's been a while since I read it. I may still have a copy if you want to borrow it.