Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dam-busting Snake-a-thon!

  I bust the dam.  Note the water level.

  It keeps draining and the engineers show up to take a look.

  They start to work.

  Using native organc materials.

  Meanwhile, the other gentle woodland creatures sleep it off.

  To windy to do much outside.  Sunny too.  Non-photographic weather.  Went out to check the beaves and walked down to take a look at the moccasin tangle.  He was in it.  I'm assuming this is his home spot.  I approached him very quietly and used an indirect line.  He finally spooked.  I don't think he smelled me with his tongue but could have.  He certainly saw me.
  Wonder how big a range a snake like this has?  Gotta move around some to hunt.

6 comments:

Dock said...

Maybe I'm nuts, but man I really enjoy these forays into the land of the gentle woodland creatures.

I hope you keep doing them.

d smith kaich jones said...

So what was the name on that collar you found? Macey? Marcy? Is this moccasin big enough to . . . you know? And I am so loving the pissed-offness in that beaver's eyes.

:) Debi

Katie said...

This is a little snake. But I bet a six foot reticulated python or so could have handled Macy. I need to put a sign up on the post leaving the woods about Macy.

Unknown said...

The ONLY hope you have of defeating the "engineers" is going to be with your superior marksmanship.

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase the captain of the Orca in the Movie Jaws, You need bigger boots!

Old NFO said...

Good pics, although Mocassins are NOT my favorites...