Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wednesday AM: Wrens and Squirrels.

Spike on cam.

Crispy and splendid morning but nothing moving except fussing wrens and rattling squirrels. I got down at 9:30 and the little 1 1/2 year old buck that's been on cam a lot over here was coming out of the treeline. He didn't puzzle me out but went downwind and blew a few times in the cover of the brush. Handsome fellow but not wide enough to be legal. Too small to interest me. I didn't bother to shrug my rifle off shoulder.

Scrapes all freshly worked and added to. Two new ones up the treeline. Second rut? Cool weather? I moved my cam back to an old spot. One spike on the card.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a spike?

Robert Langham said...

Yep, longish spike looks like.

Anonymous said...

Also called a "bonus buck" since you are allowed to shoot two bucks in Texas's "one buck counties" now as long as one of them is a spike or a three pointer but check your local game regulations. Can vary by whether or not you are slot limited on bucks.

Happy Thanksgiving