Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday AM

Freshly dug up scrape under the oak tree. Scapes are where deer dig up the dirt and....annoit it with various deer liquids to make a scent mark.

Location of scrape and hanging scent branch.

37 with promised wind out of the NNW. I bulked up under my Swiss camo coveralls and was in the tree before dawn. Rattled a little before I went up. The wind has stripped leaves and laid a layer of pine straw all over everything below my tree. At 7:30 two big healthy does and a yearling fawn were behind me just off the pipeline. Just saw them by chance sine they were behind me.

They didn't seem to be going anywhere, first toward the pasture, then down the pipeline, then back down the hill along the treeline toward me, then into the woods, back out, down the treeline a bit more until they were within spitwad range, then back into the woods, then around to the south. I put the gun on one of the does just for practice. I thought maybe they could smell me in the swirling air. Rifle was stripped down out of it's camo sock and oiled yesterday. Even I could smell it.

Nice looking deer. Three in one day. The record for the season so far.

Fresh print in a gopher mound in the tall grass when I was coming down the hill. The scrape had been worked freshly, first time in a week. Second rut must be starting. The wind picked up around 8:00 and by 9:15 I had enough.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Hang in there :-)

Robert Langham said...

Only one nut hasn't fallen out of a tree this fall.....me.

Anonymous said...

Not second rut but the temperature has caused activity to go up during the first rut. The ruts are based on a does in heat cycle and how many days it takes (28)before she cycles back into heat if she missed being bred or the breeding didnt take. Enjoy.