Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wed AM: 12Day.

Foggy this morning beyond anything I have seen. The pasture cloaked in mist. Pipeline disappearing into grey. Trees looming up here and there. Absolutely beautiful. 37 degrees with no wind. Comfortable if you are bundled up. At 8:25 a mature doe swam through the tall grass just 15 yards out. She was alone and had that questing look to her, wasn't looking back. She disappeared into mid-pasture and a minute later a buck dashed out of the woods in the corner. I didn't notice antlers so he wasn't anyone I was interested in. No shot at any rate. Never saw them again. I think they were the 13th and 14th deer of the season.

Even with the gaps I cut in the pine I'm not watching behind myself all the time or to all points of the compass. Probably looking at 90 to 120 degrees of coverage. The doe went out of sight behind a big garland of pine bough on the end of one of the branches. No telling how much I have missed. Got to be something. You can't be looking everywhere all the time.

Back in the tree or across the creek in the morning.

No comments: