Monday, August 25, 2008

Matmunks.

  We are staying in the guest quarters over a big shop on the property.  I say "property" like it's a huge estate when it's five acres on the end of a long Maine Bay.  Nice though.  Jewel-like.  Regular people except for the rampant political hate you see displayed.  (I think that's understandable: Who DOESN'T hate Bush at this point?)  
  Working generous smart folks.  The neighbor came over this morning to borrow Mark's car......to go to Boston for a few days with a sick kid.  Five hours to Boston?  A few days?  No problem.  Key in it.  
  I'm surprised Maine cars even HAVE keys.  Ought to be an on-off switch.
  The quarters has a biggish staircase wrapped around the back.  I was coming down making the final turn with my foot in the air when a chipmunk- a sure-enough Chip-and-Dale-striped job runs under my foot, under the mat at the stair bottom.  My foot is going to CRUSH this animal under the rubber-interwoven mat!  I'm at the point of face-fall, having committed to my step but frantically trying to redirect my foot when he disappears into an unseen hole under the mat.  When I'm down, and looking, its a tunnel and hole under the mat.  Unnoticeable normally.
  Chipmunks.  Maine.  Mark says he's funneled gravel and jammed rocks down chipmunk holes all over the property.  They just bulldoze them back out.

4 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

Okay, I will go on record here. I'm a big girl. I don't hate Bush. I REALLY don't hate Cheney. Annoyed at Bush, yes. MORE annoyed however at the people who are out there NOW - at Congress, at Pelosi, at Obama, at McCain, at our governor, at our local city council for telling businesses that they cannot allow smoking, even though I don't smoke.
I am annoyed that the protestors in Denver are such wusses - I was hoping for FUN watching them.

Bush? Shoulda never signed the McCain/Feingold bill. But hate him? Nahhhh.

Anonymous said...

The self-identifying automobile hate displayers are a fixture of the more 'progressive' parts of New England. If you get away from the seacoast vacationland you will see less of it. Unless the auto in question is an NPR listener or on vacation themselves.

Lazarus Long

Anonymous said...

Bush derangement syndrome is apparently more contagious than was first feared. I cant believe it has taken you over. Check for a fever and be darn careful what you say to those cheerful folks at the TSA.

Dont forget George W. signed the concealed handgun license bill in Texas almost as his first act as governor. That almost makes up for all the RINO stuff his dad did.

As for Cheney, the man is a genius and if his health was just a little bit better (and his aim) I would consider personally begging him on hands and knees to run for President. But I suspect he is smarter than that.

As for the cigarette nazis, it's everybody's air. Not just the smokers, who are a dying breed.

d smith kaich jones said...

Anonymous #2 - I will beg with you. I love Cheney.