Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Greek 30-06 Ammo from the CMP

  Last year, at the National Matches and the Texas State Rifle Association Garand Championship we shot HXP Greek 30-06 that seemed pretty good.  Not so at Camp Perry this time.

  When you go through in-processing and pick up your packet and scorecards the CMP issues ammunition for any Garand, Springfield, M1 Carbine or Vintage matches you are in.  You get two boxes of 20 rounds for every match.  The M1 Carbine folks get one box of 50, (Lake City).  Even if you are shooting a Swede or a K98 in the Vintage match they give you two boxes of 30-06.

  We shot Lot-2043-HXP-77.  I didn't hear anyone have much good to say about it.  I couldn't get it to group with my Springfield 1903A3 or Ricks Garand.  Both are pretty good rifles.  Justin Utley couldn't get a score out of it with his Garand or his Springfield when we shot on the same firing point either.  I saw a tracer out of one of his rounds.  
 
 All of us are NRA High Masters and Distinguished Rifles.  When I switched to my K31 in Vintage Rifle that afternoon on the next range over I shot a 100X4 to get started on that match using Swiss GP 11 ammo.  With HXP I think I shot a couple of Xs the whole match. 

  Bottom line: This lot isn't much good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops! A friend of mine bought two spam cans for me while he was there. I pick them up tomorrow. I hope and pray they are not this lot.
On another note - he shot the Garand match with a custom-built M1 his son had purchased for him. Afterwards his trigger pull was weighed. It was too light by the judge's weights even though it was built to be above the spec. and tested here at home.

Robert Langham said...

They select Garand and Springfields at random to be tested. Utley had his checked. Last year I watched long enough to see them disqualify a couple of folks in just a few minutes. If you were randomly selected OR shot above a certain score you got inspected.

NRA Media Relations Staff said...

Good blogging!

Anonymous said...

Check out this link on the Greek 77

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=9&f=14&t=226544&page=2

Wrangler