Monday, August 25, 2008

Art in Maine

  In Your Smith County, Texas, we have the lack of the rocks.  There's a little iron ore and some flint chips left over from hunting mammoths 35,000 years ago, but not much else.  Bricks.  Asphalt.  No native stone.
  But in your Maine, they got your rocks.  Basalt, granite and shales from grain size to house boulders.  They build with the stuff.  The water rounds and pounds it.  Quite wonderful stuff, since you don't have to mow around it.  Ayuh. 
  My response, as a civilized, educated, unarmed visiting artist is to make rock cairns on top of boulders along the rocky shore.  As a Texan I just see stacks of rocks but Mainers HATE this kind of stuff.  It's territorial, non-environmental and degrades women and minorities.  Visiting artists by LAW are restricted to watercolor and biodegradeable acrylics, though you can play the dulcimer, I hear.
  If they get a GPS co-ordinate on me I am going upstate for some big time.
  Photos and maybe a video when I get back.  Lotta rocks to stack as the tide goes in and out.

Update:  Built another big cairn in a better place with bigger rocks.  Careful selection, heft at the edge of my lift ability.  It IS a hate crime.  I'm arting in a Nature Conservancy Preservation Ecological Zone.  No guns, so I'll have to resist arrest with art-fu and harsh language.  Doomed.  
  Hope Maine supermax has an art criminal wing.  Hope the Natural Rock Cairners are up the food chain from the bad potters and hypnotists. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you are there you should take a trip to Castine and Stonington. They are not far from you.

Lazarus Long

d smith kaich jones said...

Really? NO native stone? Is it all imported? I'm confused. Explanation please. Or are you just becoming Mainestruck?

Robert Langham said...

Name a native rock in Smith County. Sandstone? Iron ore?

d smith kaich jones said...

The fact that I my ownself know nothing about rocks means nothing. You're answering me in the same way Dems approach a discussion - not really answering. All I DO know is that there are rocks all over the damn place. I'm just asking if someone wagontrained them in. Or is what I'm seeing nothing but sandstone and/or iron ore? And if so, are they not native? And if not, where did they come from? When you get back, you can point out non-native rocks to me. I wanna know how they migrated here.