Friday, March 12, 2010

More Boot Blogging

Dead Man Dancing.

When Mary Burton's brother was in the hospital dying of cancer back in the late 70s, he bought himself and expensive pair of boots. He never wore them beyond the fitting but polished them over and over until he was gone. She gave them to me.
They sat in my closet until I had the dumb luck to meet the fabulous Iris Davis who wanted to learn to C & W dance, so we did. They didn't quite fit at first: He was a 9 1/2 and I was a ten but they stretched to fit over a few hundred turns around a dance floor. They got polished when the bouncers sprinkled bowling-alley wax nightly at the Loafing Shed.
Iris went on to higher education and I had a series of mostly terrific girlfriends, all of whom loved to dance. I danced until I wore holes in my boots.
Never worn for any other purpose. Replaced now with an expensive pair of Luccheses that need some use.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

You'll never need to replace the Luccheses... I finally wore out my first pair after 32 years... Just remember to send them back to Lucchese for new soles/heels, and NEVER take them to a regular cobbler.