Sunday, March 7, 2010

DEAD COW CAM!!!!!!

800 pounds of bait. Moutrie game cam. Let's ROCK!

Out to the lake just in time to see the neighboring rancher dragging one of his Brahmas off to the back pasture. 10 minutes later I was moving my deercam, mounted on a plastic chair to cover the carcass. The DEAD COW CAM is up and running. Tried to open the carcass a little but my shears weren't sharp enough. We are going to see every vulture, raccoon, coyote, possum and rat in the watershed, plus Bigfoot.

Been wanting to do this for years, just couldn't force it.

Update: Had a go at opening the carcass with a pair of shears and really couldn't even get started. I'd cleaned my hunting stuff out of the 4-runner and didn't have a single blade. Lakehouse locked. I can't imagine tackling a buffalo with a flint knife. What a good friend a sharp knife is!
Tomorrow I'm going to cut a hole so the scavengers will have access. That will vastly speed the process and cut short the stinking part. Might need a little more distance on the cam and some height.
Last century I made war on the pigs in the bottom. Shot 37 and they moved. Never been back. Needless to say the bottom stank. A dead pig goes for more than a month. Awful stench. I started opening the freshly dead with a pocket knife. Three days later there would just be a big greasy trampled spot with a twist of hide and a shard of bone. No muss, no fuss.

4 comments:

Robin said...

ROFL

Earl said...

Hmm, not carrying a knife - that is strange, if one doesn't work in a prison. I am sure, when you got to your stash of knives you could have been carrying they were all sharp enough to penetrate the dead cow. I understand not putting your false teeth in, but not having a sharp knife in reach? that was one of my first steps to maturity. Allowed to carry a pocket knife.

Robert Langham said...

I had a pistol. I had tape. I had a map of the roads of Texas. I had a flashlight. I had extra memory cards and a bottle of water. But I had taken my hunting sack out when going on a multi-day photo shoot. It had three big deer-skinning pocket knives and two sheath knives in it.

Old NFO said...

That's gonna be interesting...