Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DEAD COW CAM, Tuesday, March 9, 2010.

Coyote in the rain this morning.

Early Black Vultures.

Coyote working the gut hole I cut open while a Black Vulture picks at the eye.

Black Vultures.

Mix of Black and Turkey Vultures.

Turkey Vultures are much browner than Black Vultures, plus they have a red naked head.

Turkey Vultures taking over.

This seems extreme.

Vulture mix.

Vultures maxed out at 7 on cam.

1008 files after the vultures found her Monday evening. First coyote, a young female I think. I need a little more camera elevation and some grass stomping. Nothing at the carcass at 5:00 but 14 (mixed Black and Turkey), vultures were in a tree within 300 yards.
I cut some hide back on the neck and exposed front shoulder and rear hip. Some flies around but not clouds. No scent to speak of. They really worked the gut section I cut open. Without that they would be picking at the eyehole and anus without much result.

Update: Hope to get a coyote census for the area. I've seen them by ones and twos, but I expect to get files of every long nose in the watershed.

Update II: Couldn't get across the creek to pull the deercam cards. Flooded out.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

1000 shots! That's an indication of the true activity... LOTS of buzzards for now, but I'll bet more 4 legged animals show up before long.

Robert Langham said...

I bet the coyote is yanking on it right now.