Saturday, September 5, 2009

My guns. My guns my guns my guns. Check it out.

Today was the first match of the rest of our lives....after winning the Soldier of Marathon National Trophy. Good to see some of the team folks gathered at Panola for a post summery match. Got a little warm before it was over with the temp running into the high 80s. I shot an almost-good score of 773X25. Had to shoot an alibi relay at 200 when a case stuck. (I think that's the last of that sizing run.) Lost a point in the process. Just couldn't quite get over the hump to decent scores in the slow fires.
Panola has new flags going down the right side of the range. Might be helpful though mostly they hung limp as the mirage flipped around. They can't be worse than the berm flag which always flies opposite the wind direction actually needed.
A great pleasure to be inside the experience of shooting my AR. The fit of the rifle, the grains of sight black on the front sight, the mirage floating across the target numbers. Fine way to spend a day.
Got my Infantry Trophy rifle and my Springfield 1903A3 back. They rode home early from the National Matches in the trailer. The IT gun still had the 300 yard sitting zero on it and the case was stuffed full of 30 round mags. The Springfield had soot in the barrel. Like Christmas to get your guns back full of memories.
Dave Wilson bought lunch for the National Match folks. Jeff Lin found some Swiss GP 11 and Gregg Foster and I replenished our ammo stashes for the K31.
Club Championship next month followed by a solid month of important matches. The Texas Service Rifle Championship is coming up at Camp Swift. Long Range Championship at Pearland and Texas Garand Championship at Terrell. Going to be an ammo-burning month. If the Lord lets us live, as Alan is fond of saying.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Because of your description of Camp Perry, I'm going to have to finish putting together my AR-15 project.

All your fault, you know.