Friday, December 2, 2011

Evening hunt.

Drove out to the lake to drop off sacks of corn and scatter a couple pounds of Rye seed in front of the corner where I hunt most. Big rain expected. That ought to sprout the rye. It was 5:15 when I wrapped up and I started to leave but then decided to sit for a bit in the tree. Ten minutes later two does walked right under me. There was another deer back in the woods- I could hear it but it wouldn't come out of the treeline.
The two does headed straight for the scrape but approached it with caution- the camera was missing. They acted like they expected to be flashed! They both nosed around, licked branches, sniffed things that didn't look sniffable and broused at stuff that didn't look especially edible. I sat until after full dark- half moon on top of clouds. They spooked at something out in the field and came pounding back past my tree.
Never got to see whatever was in the woods.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Bigfoot!

Home on the Range said...

Bob - you know it was Nessie. :-)

Seriously, I envy you the hunt, the weather this year here just did not cooperate on the days I had land I could hunt on.

Old NFO said...

Interesting, especially the browsing... Are the still that hungry?