Monday, September 29, 2008

TSRA Calendar....2009


 Keeping an eye out for 2009 calendar photos.  Here's Nez Rongero and the Flag during the Garand Championship.  Nikon Coolpix 8700.  Polarizer.  Big Tiff file.  I thought Nez had the Championship won with a 287 until Mark Woodard shot a 289.
  I waited and waited on this photo hoping the guy behind the flag would move.  Nez has one round left in his belt pack.  I was afraid he would complete the string and be gone so I went ahead.
  My Garand was shooting better with a new Criterion barrel from the CMP North store, but still not shooting as well as I hoped.  Didn't come close to cleaning the 200 yard prone slow fire target, and that's the basic test.  97, I think.
  We shot the HXP 69 30-06 bought at the CMP North store.  I didn't hear anyone bragging about it but I didn't hear any complaints or see any tracers.

Update:  I hope I made a big enough point about the wonderful-ness of taking your old rifles out into the sunlight and shooting them for score.  My 1943 Springfield 03-A3 has been at this match last year, Camp Perry twice, killed a deer and now is back here at Temple, Tx.  It's still sweating cosmoline.  Pleasure to be around these old guns.

Update II:  Nice series of a guy shooting a Krag in the prone rapid.

4 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

That's why God created Photoshop. No waiting necessary.

Anonymous said...

Could you make the flag smaller and further away, like on the horizon somewhere subtle? Photoshop is great. Film is great too. A knowledgeable viewer can usually spot a 'shopped photo or so I hear.

Great shooting Robert, gun and camera.

Anonymous said...

I used both '68 and '69 and had good results. When you can, tell us more about the new M1 barrel.

L. Long

Robert Langham said...

The old one didn't have much throat at the chamber or any rifling for the last 1/2 inch of the muzzle...but sometimes it shot pretty good. Flyers though, you couldn't clean the 200 yard target prone. New one is about the same but It's barely been shot. This 30-shot match doubled the rounds that have been fired through it. It probably will improve. My gerneral impression is that it seems a little better.