Saturday, October 10, 2009

Last Year

I shot this deer at about 9:08 on the 26th of November. Lefthanded at about 115 yards. Ruger #1 in 7X57, though anything would have worked.

I was scanning the woodline when I looked over and he was standing on his hind legs sniffing the branch over a scrape. I could see he had a big set of antlers. If you have to look or count or wonder if a deer has a big set of antlers....he doesn't. He looked as big as a mule. Really big deer are only in sight for a few seconds in the open so I raised my rifle. Because of the way I was sitting on the pine branch it was a lefthand shot. I've shot a little lefthanded just in case so it didn't even register. He went down and dug a couple of times in the scrape quartering away from me. I took a breath and made a sight picture. He turned toward me and I remember starting the trigger and thinking about holding through the shot. The trigger broke and I called it good. He went down in place and kicked a few times.

And now I get to do it all again. Maybe.

I was really after this guy. Maybe he is still around.

Made it to the cusp of another hunting season. Rarely shoot a deer after November 15th. Won't shoot a little deer, though they are fun to watch.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

NICE... sigh... I'll be lucky if I even get to hunt this year... Get that big boy for me :-)

Anonymous said...

Truly a nice buck. 14 plus points before he broke off at least one. Hope you get him. It's all about putting time in pre-season and being there for the opener and staying on stand thru at least noon the first day and being there the next day too!