Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Soft Drinks and the Superbowl.

The Redhead and I don't consume many soft drinks or stock them at home. They have about as much sugar as a candy bar and it's that tricky insulin-jamming corn fructose stuff. Makes you fat and gives you diabetes, I suspect. As the Superbowl afternoon spun up, I noticed a Coke in a holiday round plastic container on top of the refrigerator and thought: why not?
The date on the container was 2007. As one might expect...(or maybe it was from the era of new and improved better Coke), it tasted flat and lousy. I'd gotten us both excited about drinking a refreshing, crisp, clean CocaCola on ice by this time so I had to stay in motion. I grabbed a jacket and the pup and drove over to Walgreens to buy one coke and one Dr. Pepper. In the traditional plastic. Back home I opened up the drink and we both had a small glass with ice. When you don't drink carbonated drinks very often, the sensation is like drinking cold, supersweet battery acid. It's amazing. You lose that sensation by the end but I can certainly understand how folks get hooked. We certainly enjoyed it.
Dr. Pepper is still sitting in the fridge. Might be there for a bit. Say, 2016.
When I was a college kid, we used to drink this stuff like it was actually good for you.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yeah, and you can STILL get Dr. Pepper down in Stevensville made with real sugar; even MORE of a rush! You can truly tell the difference!

Anonymous said...

There is a store in Lakeport that sells Dr. Pepper made with Imperial (pure cane) Sugar. Save that corn syrup DP for the next time I come over and Ill take it off your hands ;)

A

Tim Covington said...

If you look around, you can find Coca-Cola bottled with real sugar. It is in glass bottles and is bottled in Mexico. I occasionally buy a case at Sam's Club.