Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Camping life


Rick's M1A on his shooting stool, Viale Range during the Springfield Armory M1A match at Camp Perry.

Springfield M1A Match today. 50 shots, all at 300 yards on the standard 300 yard target. Borrowed Rick's rifle after he warmed it up by shooting 100X13 prone on the 3rd relay. We let the other two guys on our firing point shoot first while we started in the pits. They wanted the still air. We wanted sunlight on the target faces.
The Springfield Armory M1A Match gets major hoopla, but shrinks each year. The first year was 1200 folks in a steady rain. The next year was better but small enough to put on Viale Range and its 150 targets. Last year ran about 5-600 people and today we had 357. Not a good trend. They give away pistols, rifles, money, T-shirts, et. Just can't get it going. People love this old rifle....but not enough I guess.
The guys on the first relays didn't shoot too many misses but stayed downwind. Rick Crawford shot a decent match and was 4th. I shot a lousy match and was 37th. When I walked across the stage to get a medal hung on my neck, (top 50 folks) I told the head of Springfield Armory that I appreciated them supporting this match. "Bring a friend next year," was his reply.M1a

3 comments:

Earl said...

It is a pretty good rifle, but looks old as WWII, can't compare with your Space Gun

Anonymous said...

Looks old because the detachable 20 round magazine was out of it. Still the current favorite of the Squad Designated Marksmen. It do kick though.

Earl said...

I am one of those that thought five and ten round magazines were a great idea for the M14, but I once carried it as a Rifleman and liked to get very close to the ground when I was looking for North Koreans. But that was long ago and far away, they don't ask it of me any more.


wv- duckey (and it is, just)