Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Army of Squirrels

  Twins doing what they need to.  Growing antlers.

  Going to be forkhorns on each side.

  Cute guys.

  The watershed is like a sponge.  The rain soaks in and it slowly drains and evaporates.  The creek this evening is just a trickle through the clay bottom of the cut.  Very dry.  Sometimes I can't cross even in rubber boots.  Today I could get across in jogging shoes, if I was dumb enough to come down here in jogging shoes.
  Squirrels are eating James tomatos and its a race.  He won't shoot them, trying electric wire and a trap instead.  I'm tempted to suppress a few with the 10/22 but so far have held off.  He moved 19 last year.
  First vine ripened tomatos to the redhead today, along with an eggplant and some onions.  My daughter got some also, along with mom.  It's what I do.  Drive around, spreading fresh produce.
  At the deercam down the way squirrels are on the corn until 8:55 pm when the raccoons take over in the dusk.
  Across the creek the twins are growing horns, still with mom.  
  A young water moccasin, probably the same, coiled up on the clay next to the water.  I've been meaning to notice whether they coil up clockwise or counterclockwise.  Forgot to look again.  He did look very organized.
We need a good rain.

No comments: