Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Range time

  Working on 600 yard loads for my AR.  I want to try Ramshot TAC to see how it shoots.  I've been happy with Varget under my 80 grain Sierra Matchkings, but I hear good things about the TAC.  More speed they say, with no pressure problems.

  I set up the spotting scope and a rest on the bench on the 100 yard range.  Target was a 50 yard pistol bullseye with the 8, 9, 10 and X ring in the black.

  Warmed up the rifle with 8 rounds of 69 Sierra Matchkings over 26 grains of Varget.  All in the X-ring.  With a warm rifle I shot 10 rounds of Infantry Trophy load off the bench at 100 yards.  Everything stayed in the black, using about 3/4 of the ten ring.  77 Sierra Matchkings over 25 grains of Varget.  They were in some LC cases that came back from RVO with the case mouths cut at slight slant.  Shooting about 2 minutes of angle.  Not bad, but not that good.  I'm suspicious of those cases.

  I switched to Sierra 80s over 24.5 grains of Varget and never got out of the X ring.  Quite a difference.  

  Finally I shot the Sierra 80s over 24 grains of TAC.  The first four I shot quickly.  They basically went in the same hole.  Less than 1/2 MOA.  The next six I shot slowly, letting them heat up in the hot chamber as long as a couple of minutes.  All in the same/same hole.  I've heard that TAC doesn't vary with heat and that it does.  I couldn't make the group move and the last five rounds were pretty heated up by the time I shot. 

  I came home and loaded 100 rounds of 80s/TAC for the Saturday midrange (300 yards and 600 yards) at Panola.

  1/7 Douglas barrel sure seems to like 80s, no matter what is driving them.

No comments: