Thursday, July 9, 2009

Dang Liars!

Infantry Trophy Team Blackfork from several years ago. I think we are standing on the 600 yard berm after firing the match.


I get back from a long sweaty morning at Panola where I was confirming my AR zeros for Infantry Trophy at the National Matches and trying to pick a bullseye load for my Sierra 80s at 600 yards. I.T. practice was all at 500 and 600 and I walked back and forth twice to double check my old sight settings. Back in town I walk into a shop where I'm known. One of the salesman say" You know, my neighbor, who is a hunter and shooter and a hell of a shot says anyone talking about shooting at 600 yards with open sights is full of BS."

I kind of mulled that over for a minute, then replied, "be sure and tell him that you confronted the guy talking about it, and sure enough, he confessed it WAS bovine-by-product, for sure!"

Probably the best place to leave something like that.

Infantry Trophy 600 yard zero held at up 34, right one, just where it was last year. 500 yard zero is up 27, right one. All with Sierra 77s over 25 grains of Varget. I was kind of on the right side. Might try the Saturday Practice at mechanical zero instead of the right one.

Working bullseye loads I shot five rounds, single load and fire at 600 and them had them mark the hits as a group. I tried four different combos but no happiness yet. Nine-ring sized groups.

A little caution on Highpower rifle shooters. They may be low-down lying dogs but they are armed and they can shoot your ass from 600 yards away with open sights, even in the wind.

8 comments:

d smith kaich jones said...

Is that what y'all were talking about? LOL! It reaffirms everything I thought about said person's neighbor.

Unknown said...

Some folks never learn the difference between:

"I can't do that" and

"No one can do that"

I can remember high power matches where '03A3's were in the majority, Garands were a definite minority and M-14's were a pipe dream...

Robert Langham said...

....and the Krag people were still really obnoxious!

Anonymous said...

Sept 1961, I remember a group of instructors getting city boys to hit bulleyes at 500 yards within a week's time with Garands. Of course they were Marines, and us boys became Marines

al from chgo

Bram said...

Al - Same group had me hitting the Baker target every time at 500 yards with an M16 with iron sights.

They used to use the 600 yard-line before downsizing to the poodle-shooter.

Old NFO said...

And if they run, they'll just die tired, and STILL in range... :-)

Jay Hafemeister said...

I work with a bunch of mechanics and clerks that can hit a man-size target from 500m with an M-16 and irons.
Even the girls can do it.

I should mention that I work in western Iraq.

Unknown said...

1965 Edson Range, Camp Pendelton California.
Bulls eyes where not only expected at 500 yards, they where demanded.
Nothing but open sites on a standard issue M-14 with millitary issue ammo.