Friday, October 10, 2008

The Ides of April


  On the 13th of April I photographed a young woman who wanted some images while she was pregnant with her last child.  She brought her mom and her other two kids and I shot film and digital of them singly and in various poses and groupings in the studio.  It took a while to get the kids to smooth out, but we did it.  She seemed a happy, smart, connected and committed mom, just the sort any kid would want.  I was impressed.  I dragged out an old box of toys that hadn't been touched in five or six years for them to look through and let them each take one home.  I sent the proofs and heard from her once after the birth.  Then nothing.

  The Redhead and I ran late errands, banking at the grocery store and working our way through the Friday afternoon crowd with our bags.  We swung by Brady's coffee to get her car and Brady was waving me in.  I thought we were going to be lectured on leaving a car in one of his parking slots while elsewhere but it was something else.  The young woman who I had photographed had died and her parents were searching for the photographer.

  They found him.  I didn't pry into the details.  She seemed young and vital when she was in the studio.  The baby is healthy.

  What a reminder of the momentary blessings of life and the folly of taking the future for granted.  It can break your heart at any moment.  God bless these good people.

No comments: