Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Daily Deercam



  Well, not so daily lately.  I haven't been out in a week.  Meant to make it last Thursday before leaving for Camp Swift and the TSRA Service Rifle Championship, but didn't.  Went this afternoon.  The redhead and I jumped a deer going over the bluff to camera 1 and when we came out she spotted a doe 100 yards across the pasture over the tall grass.  We were downwind so we stayed in the shadowed treeline and watched the doe and a yearling fawn fool around for a bit.  They were standing where we had passed five minutes before.  The doe was looking into the treeline and bobbing her head around.  I got the feeling there might be a buck near, but nothing showed.  Finally they came down the pasture edge toward us and then ducked into the trees.
  We didn't cross the creek to check cam 2.
  Two bucks on the card.  The little bent-horned buck was on looking very skittish, then one frame of the monster above.  I think it's Big Ten who finally is growing his left antler out nearly back to normal after having it ripped off his head at the socket in his 2 1/2 season.  He's 5 1/2 now and has a big buck body.
  Not bad.  One frame and he was gone, early in the morning of the 20th.  If he isn't the dominant local buck, I'd like to see who is.  Actually, there ought to BE one big rival from last year.  And a couple of challengers.  Maybe I can rattle one up.
  Scrapes freshly worked.  I'm going to start spraying a little buck and doe scent and see if I can get them worked up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think we need to hit that big one with a tranquilizer dart and saw his antlers off so nobody shoots him this year. What a big deer!