Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Daily Deercam

  Big mature, smart doe.  Made it through the season with her fawn.  Sometimes the big does have a nick in an ear that you can ID them by, but she is very clean.

  Here she is again thinking about kicking some coonass.  I mean COON ass.

  The size comparison.  Seen alone he could be mistaken for an adult, but isn't.

  Looking over the coons.

  One more for size and color comparisons.  You can see the sockets for next years little horns.


  Not killing any coons since I shut the trap down due to a missing day or two on the schedule.  Got lots of coons on cam.  
  Bucks are off in a thicket somewhere, not moving.  Been a weird year for bucks on cam.  They didn't make many appearances.  Plenty of sign and tracks, though I am not jumping many deer going through the great grey woods.  You can see farther in the bottom than at any other time of the year now.  When I walked in this evening, I could see Great Horned Owls that I spooked flying to new perches at the limit of my vision.
  Friday at a Tyler Museum of Art opening of work by William Montgomery (snakes under a pane) I got to talk to Bill Lamar, a real biologist who love snakes and reptiles.  We got to talking snake numbers and he said the census for copperheads in prime East Texas landscape was 125 per acre.   I asked him twice for confirmation and he confirmed.  I'm walking on snakes evidently, all the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think feral hogs have decreased all snake numbers which is about the only good thing I can say about a feral hog..

Anonymous said...

Try hanging your camera overlooking a scrape, whether it's active or not. I got five different bucks visiting the same scrape the last week of deer season.

By the way, one coon decided to vist the scarpe too!

Robert Langham said...

There are scrapes at both cams. Nothing going on here.

Anonymous said...

A lot of times scrapes act as signal markers. Passing deer pee in the sacred spot and lick the (always there) overhanging branch. Kinda like a sign in log or guest book in a hotel.

125 per acre sounds high but could be accurate in heavily forested Piney Woods since they blend in so well with pine straw. Scary stuff that.