Friday, September 5, 2008

Trigger Time

  Except for murdering coons and a dog with a .22, I haven't fired a shot since the last round standing at 300 yards in the Springfield Armory M1A Match on Viale range at Camp Perry.  The last match round I fired was an eight, I think, and went into Lake Erie.  It was some terrible ammo I bought from Dick Curry.
  Tomorrow we start the fall season at Carthage.  80 shot match.  First time to be together since Perry.  Probably have 30-40 shooters.  I've got the gear piled up, mags loaded in order on the outside of the rifle case.  My Garand is going to Rick for a new barrel.  1903A3 getting a new front sight blade, now that the CMP has signed off on wide front blades for that rifle.  Got a bunch of .308 LC NM brass for Jim Booker.  New Garand stock has one coat of boiled linseed oil soaking into it.  The kid's stuff ready by the door, though he is trying to bolt via an IM.  Too late and T.S.  Maybe I'll start letting him drive a little.
  Sneed called tonight about 9;30 when a big buck crossed the highway in front of him down near College Station.  I asked him if the ears were wider than the horns.  He said the BIG buck was way wide and tall, the little buck following was just a bit wider than the ears.  He's getting the eye and the fever.  
  Alan and I are counting deer Sunday Night up at Clarksville on his farm.  Usually we spotlight 60-90 deer.
  The trigger time is fixin' to get started.  Wake-up call at 5:00am.

Update: Somebody at the coffee shop cracked that I would be spending a lot of time with Betsy.  The Redhead just rolled her eyes as several folks sat up and asked, "Who the hell is Betsy?"
  Betsy is my AR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the wider front sight blade - Do you have the rule reference?
Where can the wider blades be purchased? What is the maximum allowed width?

L. Long

Robert Langham said...

AR front sights are fairly common and cheap. Springfields are much harder to find. Going to be only individuals for a while until the market catches up. Unknown on legal widths. I'm sure you could email the CMP Competitons director.