Wednesday, July 2, 2008

While on the subject of Whitetail deer...


  I used the Rachel Lucas » Demotivators button to get myself addicted making these posters.  I think I may need an intervention before I quit.
  This is one of Alan's does from up in Red River County.  I got bored shooting them with my scoped Ruger #1 and started working my way through all the old military rifles I had bought over the years.  Every time I added a mil-surp rifle my excuse would be: One of these days I'll use it to shoot a doe tag.  
  Surprisingly, I did!
  Rifles used:
M1 Garand.
M1 Standard Products .30 cal. Carbine.
1909 Argentine Carbine in 7.65.
1891 Argentine Cavalry Carbine.
1891 Argentine Engineers Carbine.
K98 Mauser.
Swiss K31.
Japanese T44 Carbine in 6.5X50.
1917 Eddystone 30-06.
Springfield 1903A3.
Swedish M38 in 6.5X55.
1898 Krag 30-40.

  Zeroing, carrying and hunting with every one of these rifles was a delight.  It seemed to take several hunts to get a doe down, so I got to spend a little time with the gun.  I appreciated them more and more as I carried them.  (The K98 and Krag, for instance, are very sexy rifles to carry in the field.)  I shot deer offhand and from stands.  Some have a peep and post, some old pyramid triangle sights, some ladder sights.  When I took a guest or a kid they were always fascinated to see me carrying a vintage rifle with original strap and military ammo.  The M1 Carbine, Garand, 1903A3 and K31 had been shot in competition.  (full bragging disclosure:  I'm the current Texas Garand and repeat Vintage Rifle Champion)  

  On deck for this deer season: SKS and AR15.

4 comments:

Tam said...

I'm jealous of the Argie carbines. I have a 1909 and a very pretty '91, but they're both rifles.

Last time I was down Texas way, I brought my 96/38 Swede, intending to take it after javelina. It didn't work out, but if I get a crack at a repeat performance, I have a Venezuelan FN 24/30 carbine that would make the perfect little gun for the job...

Robert Langham said...

The 91 Carbines are much to be jealous about- smallest and cutest mausers ever made.
Growing up, the boys deer rifle was a modified 1891 rifle that dad bought at Montgomery Wards and sporterized. He cut about three inches off the barrel, leaving it just past the end of the stock, bent the bolt and added a Weaver scope. Sitting in deer blinds in Bandera, Texas, I could never figure out what a MAUSER (which I knew was a German gun) mentioned Argentina on it.
Shot a couple does with my M38 Swede last year. I had the impressionit would never miss until I shot at a running coyote about 300 yards out.
Love old rifles.

catfish said...

Aren't you the Texas State Rifle champion?

Robert Langham said...

I'm the FORMER Texas State Highpower Rifle Champion. Micheal Carter won it this year.

Of course, the cat isn't very impressed with his win either...