Friday, May 7, 2010

Until the Sun no longer sets in the West, I will shop there no more forever.

Out of Varget. Thought I might add a mere pound from Gander Mountain. I figured they would be in the 25.00 range, a rip-off, but still no more than a good lunch. They had the eight pound jug only. Was it 103.00, like we paid a Camp Perry a few years ago? 109.00, like we paid two years back? 134.00, as the Obamamania started? No. 199.99. An insult. And I had to drive all the way down there to be schooled.
No more. I will NEVER darken the doors of Gander Mountain, no matter if Bridgette Bardo is giving away Sierra MatchKings with a matching hat in their store. Never. Done.

Alan is fronting me a keg from his stash. Ordered Lapua Scenar 75s from Sinclair. I SPEND money, reasonable money, on the shooting sports but I'm not going to ever spend another cent at Gander Mountain.

8 comments:

Tim Covington said...

At least they had some. My local store was out. And, looking at the prices of other powders, it would have been $32 for a pound if they had any.
Next Saturday, I might have to call the Ft. Worth Cabelas and see if they have any? Their online price for 8# jugs is $170.

BTW, have you heard that they will be opening a Cabelas in Allen (north of Plano) next year?

Robin said...

Hear, hear.

Robert Langham said...

Gunshows to avoid the hazmat BS and shipping. If you have a friend going to Camp Perry shooting pistol, rifle, smallbore, LR, et...they might get a good price.

Anonymous said...

Well, that may not be as hard as you think. With GM's price structure the way it is and has been the number of customers is dwindling. Academy seems to have the lion share of that business now and they have nowhere near the guns that Gander does and zero reloading supplies. Kinda getting to that support your local gunslinger mode if you ask me and folks dont seem to be flocking to GM anymore. Just saying .....
A.

Old NFO said...

Gander HAS become the rip off artists of the outdoor world... I'm the same way now, never again.

jumblerant said...

The silly people don't even show Varget as a Hodgdon item they stock on their website!

They must have sold out to The Man.

Shame.

Paul said...

Have you tried Mac's Gun shop?

Anonymous said...

I spoke with a mutual friend from Louisiana last night who told me that varget is currently unavailable at any price in most places at the current time. I think he was primarily talking about the larger (8 lb) containers but those sell out first most times. Just an FYI .